Technical Know-How - Continual Forgetting

Yesterday, I met with a friend of mine from a previous company where i worked for 3 years as an Angular developer.  He at a new company now but still working with Angular as the primary tech stack.  I found myself trying to recall a bit of what I knew about Angular... and totally drawing a blank.

I was a full-time developer in this technology as recently as 2.5 years ago, and I found I couldn't even remember what the code looked like.  Would i even recognize my own code if i saw it?


Similarly, I talked with a friend of mine who is working to learn software engineering, and I told him that I very much enjoyed Vue and found it to be "the most fun" out of the frameworks in which I've written production code: KnockoutJS, AngularJS, Angular (2+), React, Vue, and Ember.  He asked me what makes it the most fun.  I could think of a few things that gave me that impression and gave a passable answer (dynamic attributes, terse syntax, v-if and v-else in the template, etc.), but again i was drawing a blank on many of the central tenets that makes Vue unique.

I don't know how much of this is because I am 40 years old and how much of it is because technical know-how is short-term memory.  But it's a little disheartening sometimes to feel like I would need to relearn so much about any of these languages if i went back to work on them.

It makes me wonder how many other developers feel this way about anything they used to know well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Quarantine with COVID-19

Quarantine and Job Change