Presidential Election Time

In three weeks from today, the country will have elected its next President - either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump.

As a Constitutional conservative, this election is the most discouraging one I've ever been a part of.  I paid attention to political pundits and news stories all throughout the primaries and the general election season, and I wanted so much to root for a principled conservative.  Instead, the choices are for two lifelong Democrats.

On one side, Hillary Clinton has been caught in dozens of provable lies involving our national security, and she has used the her position as Secretary of State to accept bribes (through the Clinton Foundation and speaking engagements) for political favors from enemies of the United States.

On the other side, Donald Trump is a Democrat running as a Republican, and I feel he has hijacked our party.  He has given more money to Democrats than Republicans his whole life and has always seen the world through the eyes of a pro-choice Democrat.  Even his own kids (Eric and Ivanka) couldn't vote for him in the Primaries in New York because they weren't registered as Republicans.  In addition, Donald Trump has written books in which he brags about his affairs with married women.  As a Republican, he confirms the racist, sexist, bigoted things that the media has said about us for decades.

Even though I care very much about the political process, I plan to not vote for either candidate this election.  Hillary Clinton (who is strongly favored to win) will be active in suppressing individual freedom and supporting government-run healthcare.  She is also a known liar (perjurer) on even very significant issues (not just small lies that politicians routinely tell).  She will probably be worse than Donald Trump.  But I do find some solace in the thought that she is a known liar and corrupt person representing THEIR team, not ours.

If Donald Trump gets elected (much less likely), my fear is that he will drag conservatism down with him.  Conservatives will feel that they must defend him against a barrage of deserved media attack instead of just standing on unchanging principles.  I fear that conservatism will get such a bad connotation, that it may be very difficult to recover.

I would certainly not intentionally vote for Hillary, but I do feel that there is a better chance of a revitalization of conservative values (for some segment of the population) under a corrupt President Hillary Clinton than under a lying, womanizing faux conservative Donald Trump.  Either way though, Hillary is so far ahead that the election is pretty much over already.

However the election turns out, I believe America will be worse off in 4 years than it is now.  After new seats are filled in the Supreme Court, the country may never be able to recover to its former status as leader in individual freedoms.  And this saddens me deeply.  It is times like these that I remind myself that my family is who I care most about, and we can be a moral people amidst an immoral world.  We are citizens of Heaven first, America second.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technical Know-How - Continual Forgetting

Family Quarantine with COVID-19

Daddy Dates